Surcharge in Non-Homogeneous Soil
For non-homogeneous soil we proceed as follows:
- Compute the angle ϑa for a given soil layer.
- Determine the corresponding magnitude of force Sa and size of the corresponding pressure diagram.
- Determine the magnitude of earth pressure acting below the bottom edge of a given layer, and its ratio with respect to the overall pressure magnitude.
- The surcharge is reduced using the above ratio, then the location of this surcharge on the upper edge of the subsequent layer is determined.
- Compute again the angle ϑa for the next layer and repeat the previous steps until the bottom of a structure is reached or the surcharge is completely exhausted.